First - we are meeting at Martin Regional Library 2601 S. Garnett, tonight from 6:30 - 8:30, we are in the process of looking for other locations as well, but for now, when you go in the entrance, turn left then head right to the end of the hall. We are last room on the right!
Second - Exciting effort to be involved in! We are raising funds to begin the first program in Oklahoma for students with autism spectrum disorders as well as similar disabilities. We can only do that with your help! Read further!
As you may know, we have been working diligently to have everything in place to get college programs started in Oklahoma for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities! After 3+ years, we now have all the pieces in place!
Here is a review of the past few months:
- Featured Edie Cusack - nationally recognized Executive Director from College of Charleston/REACH program to speak at Tulsa and OKC events partnering with Sooner Success/SUCCESS for Life and sponsored by many wonderful organizations
- House Resolution 1065 was enrolled in our state legislature after much work: Click here for the document! HR1065 Text
- Presented to parent groups
- Presented to various foundation representatives
- Presented to representatives of OK State Regents for Higher Education
- Received confirmation from colleges of their interest in beginning a program
- Submitted grant applications - a continuous effort - to foundations
The most important focus we have right now directly relates to raising the start-up funding to begin a program in Oklahoma. Click on Goals for a refresher on the model program details!
What is the purpose of this email? Now is the time for our support base to step forward and show that this is an effort supported by many, and it IS important!
Foundations need to see evidence that this is not just a "wish" for one or two people. They need to know individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities want the choice to attend college in Oklahoma, and know that the supports will be in place to allow them to go after their dreams and goals like anyone that wants to go to college.
We need your help! Please DONATE NOW - by clicking on the DONATE button with your gift. Our goal is $45,000 from our support base which will be key in raising the remainder from foundations. A total of $375,000 is needed as 4 year start-up funding for the selected college or university to begin a program!
Please forward this email to family, friends, professionals and others that you know could support this effort. The time is NOW.
WE CAN MAKE COLLEGE SUCCESS A REALITY FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH INTELLECTUAL OR DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES!
Maybe God chose Mary because He knew she would be the one to fortify herself, to be embroiled in inner turmoil for the sake of this special child. It wasn't easy raising the Son of God. And Mary was the one who would sit at his bedside at night and look at this one who didn't look like a king and wonder "What am I supposed to do?"
"The Lord has blessed you and is with you. Don't be afraid, Mary; God has shown you his grace." Luke 1:28, 30.